Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Maus

This is the best book I have read this year.  Every part of the novel pulls me in a direction, whether it is laughter or suspense or sadness.  All range of emotions are conveyed in this novel.  Beside the historical side, the characters are expertly realized.  I made a connection with each character.  So much so that I can hear the voices of the individuals.  There is a sense of self and truthfulness, to where there is no adjustments at all.  The character in the book is how they are in real life, not just based on a real life person.  The novel has many good points, too many to mention.  I was drawn in from the very beginning.  The life of a man who lived through the Holocaust, the story he tells ring volumes of feeling.  The progression to wealth and the continual deterioration until nothing is left. It pulls on your heart strings.  The differentiation between races are interesting and makes it easy to tell which group of people are talking.  The illustrations do a great job of moving you through.  The movement is so well done that I refused to put the book down.  This novel is a superb example of a biography even if it is done in comic form.  There is an essence to this novel, a tragic event with a hopeful future.  The fight for freedom no matter what obstacle.  A "do what you have to do" mentality in order to stay alive.  I felt the constant need for shelter, the cold nights in a barn, the restlessness of being caught; every chapter shows me something more.  I feel many people know about the Holocaust in general but I believe there is a deeper connection that happens when there is a specific point of view.  There are things that happened that I couldn't dream of, just thinking about the struggles puts me in the situation instead of just the reader.  This is why the novel grabs me so tightly, such personal experiences encourages me to learn of my own past.

No comments:

Post a Comment