Monday, October 31, 2011

European comics

I read a number of European comics this week.  All the ones I read very new and range from funny to serious to action.  The subject matter is handled differently from American comics.  The majority of the humor is more caricatured and satirical.  Out of all the books I read this week, the one I enjoyed the most was Blacksat.  The comic was in another language but the art work is superb.  Each panel is illustrated so that you don't need to understand what is being said.  Every once in a while, I may not know what is exactly happening but I get the main point.  The art style gets the cool perspective and gestural figures that I love.  Cool angles and expressions kept me interested.  The use of extreme perspective is something I always admire in art and this is among the top examples.   The facial expression are mind blowing, capturing the right moment in the action.  All the characters are animals but are illustrated in such a way that you dont even notice.  If anything, the different animals enhance the storytelling.  The personality of the individual shapes the type of animal they are.  The police chief is a dog, which are loyal.  The underground bar is filled with reptiles and nocturnal animals.  A shady character is a rat or some kind of vermin, either a rat or a possum.  The crime boss or main antagonist is a slimy reptile.  The different animals were my favorite part of the comic.    I definitely want to find an English version.

No comments:

Post a Comment